Monday 20 October 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars - John Green


Synopsis: 

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid support Group, Hazel's story is about to be complete rewritten 

Review: 

I would like to start by saying that I have nothing against cancer patients or cancer stories. I have never experience any form of cancer nor witnessed it. Also, there are lots of spoilers in this review. You have been warned.

I can appreciate that new comers to John Green’s work would believe that The Fault in Our Stars was a phenomenal and highly remarkable book. However, after reading many of Green’s novels, I’ve notice that they can get quite repetitive. I have observed that there is usually a typical teenage girl with a mystery or sadness who is wanted by a teenage boy who wants to solve them. Think about it. Alaska and Miles, Hazel and Augustus, Margo and Quinton. The story lines echo each other and are so similar that frankly, they become predictable and boring. I knew about a third of the way through the novel that Augustus was going to die.  Perhaps this is just Green’s writing style, but in my opinion, it is just a formula to get teenage girls hearts.

The Fault in our Stars is now an icon for romance literature and has been labelled as ‘the new titanic’ however I, personally, do not understand how. The romance in this novel came out of nowhere. It was literally ‘love at first sight.’ This may melt the hearts of young girls, and be really sweet and all, but I had to ask myself; Are they in this relationship purely because they both thought they were going to die or did they genuinely love each other? I thought the whole relationship was rushed and not honest.
Another point I should mention is that modern teenagers don’t speak in page long monologues that seem overly rehearsed and not on the spot.  I don’t think Green grasped how today’s teenagers communicate. There were no awkward silences or tense environments which most teenagers in today’s society experience with other people their age.

I also found the couple’s relationship with Van Houten quite odd. It seemed as if the book was warning me about the man the whole time. I honestly thought that Van Houton would abuse Hazel and Augustus. I myself thought it was strange for this man to demand that if she wanted him to answer his question, Hazel was to travel half way around the world regardless of her state of physical health, and location. I was shocked that the pair actually did travel to see the man, and I was even more shocked when the mother allowed the teenagers to visit him alone. Then when the meeting didn't go to plan they kiss in the Anne Frank museum!? As some of you already know I am a keen reader of the Holocaust. I have read Anne Frank’s diary multiple times and found it an extraordinary piece of writing. To have the couple’s first kiss in the annex just seemed ridiculous and even random. And to top it off, the applause?

Sure there were a few faults in The Fault in Our Stars (pun intended) but I did overall enjoy it even though I have made it sound like I absolutely hated it in this review. I do prefer Green’s other books over this one in particular (I will write post reviews for the soon!), but as a whole he has done a terrific job. He crafted beautiful characters and I created a strong bond with them all. I have only pointed out the negative aspects within the novel, which is probably why I sound like I really disliked it.  I felt like this book got a lot of hype and publicity over social media. I do believe that perhaps some only thought it was phenomenal just because everyone else did. Once again, I did actually enjoy this book, I was entertained and I finished it in like three days. I just wanted to point some of the things that were quite conspicuous to me as ‘not quite right’ and wanted to put some ideas out. I want to know what you guys think, leave a comment below!

Thank you for reading,

Ally xox



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Oh Little Fox Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger