Tuesday 30 December 2014

Book Review: Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell



Synopsis: 

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life, hew mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she couldn't stick out more if she tried. 

Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black t-shirts, headphones, head in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor ... never to Eleanor.

Slowly, steadily, through late night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when your young, and you feel as if you have nothing and everything to loose. 

Review:

I very much enjoyed Eleanor and Park. So much so that I'm going to make this review extra short so I do not give any spoilers what so ever as this is a truly remarkable book. 

As I always aim to be honest in my reviews I will admit that I actually did not like the two main characters Eleanor and Park during the first few chapters. Eleanor was far to bitter and viewed everything to be so dull while Park was so judgmental and accepting. So during the first section of the book I was pretty upset that I had wasted my money on this novel, and because I had purchased it I knew I had to read it all the way. However, my favorite aspects of books is character development, and this story easily has the best development I have ever read. As I said Eleanor wasn't my favorite person to begin with but before I knew it I was Eleanor, I felt everything that she felt. And then suddenly I was in lover with Park's character. I don't think I have felt this mushy since reading The Fault in Our Stars. I did although find the characters of this contemporary novel pretty cliche. They are both the typical misfits in there school. She has crazy read hair and is considered fat, while Park is half Korean and is considered feminine. While I'm on the topic has anyone else noticed ed that most fictitious characters that are described as "unattractive" have red hair? Anyway these misfits end up sitting on the bus together and initially they do not like each other but there relationship forms at the most perfect pace. That's another thing I particularly favor about the novel is that nothing happens to quickly, other than perhaps the ending. I also love how Rowel writes in such a language that is simplistic but effective and breathtaking all at the same time.

This novel is a constant variation between light and darkness and is now defiantly one of my favorite, favorite contemporary novels ever. I truly felt like this story inspired me to be a bit more sincere and has defiantly taught me of a different perspective.

That's all I shall say for this review! If you haven't read this novel please PLEASE do!!!And if you have, let me know what you thought in the comment below :)

Thanks for reading,

Ally xo


1 comments:

Unknown said...

I seriously just finished reading this yesterday.

Post a Comment

 

Oh Little Fox Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger